Skip to main content

Long Lost Post - Importance of Self-Care

So, I found this post, unpublished and forgotten, and felt it was worth posting, even though it has been a long while since I first wrote it. It has been a tough year for me - this is the first year where I have really felt that I've hit a wall, and that I need the summer to help recover. 

This post was from November - I was taking two courses at the time (yes, I know that's crazy), and this one was referring to the online course I was taking about Indigenous history in Canada, called Stolen Lives. Certainly an important lesson, though difficult, and I believe it's worth the share.

Here it is:



The past week or so have felt so long and arduous. There has been so much to do, but it has felt like there aren't enough hours to complete it all.

In the Stolen Lives course I am taking, we have been learning more about the Residential School system, and hearing and/or reading first hand accounts. It has been a very heavy week, as this material is difficult and carries a lot of emotions with it. I actually had a very emotional response to a video that we watched of a survivor's account. In reaching out to my course Elder, she was able to help guide me through the emotions and help me to recognize that my response was likely due to the burdens that I carry with me, and the guilt that I experience in the many roles that I have: student, teacher, Mom, wife, etc.

I am grateful that she was able to guide me and help me to recognize the emotions and burdens that I deny on a daily basis. This also made me think about the burdens of my students, and the stresses that they experience on a daily basis. I often forget that they may also be struggling with their own lives and emotions, but I need to keep these in mind, and I need to be aware of any emotional triggers that may be present in my course or course material.

It also reminded me of the importance of wellness and taking care of ourselves. As teachers, we take on a lot of extra responsibilities outside of the classroom, and we need to be aware of the effects that all of these responsibilities have on our well being. We need to remember to take some time for stress relief - my time is cardio kickboxing for 2 hours per week. It amazes me how lighter I feel after an hour long workout. It's almost like my brain has hit the reset button, and I'm able to take on the challenges of the week. If I have to miss a session because of work or childcare, it makes a huge difference - I have come to rely on my two evenings a week and the release that comes with these classes.

I think that my biggest lesson during these long and difficult weeks has been the importance of taking care of myself. I can't take care of everyone else all the time - there comes a point where you just can't give anymore. We need to recognize our emotions and burdens, and try to live in such a way that embraces the good things.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Here We Go . . .

08/April/18 I am sitting here at the Ontario Google Summit in Cambridge, Ontario, digesting all of the new technology apps/sites, etc. that I have learned so far this weekend. I am always amazed at how much I learn at the Google Summit, not because I think I know more than most, but because it seems like so much information is jammed into a short period of time. The facilitators are always phenomenal, and they really make you think about your teaching practices and the why  behind the choices you make in your classroom. I suppose that leads into blogging, and how I have arrived at where I am now. I have been toying with the idea of blogging for a little while now, but never really seem to get the courage to just do it. I tend to lean back on this idea of being shy - I still get nervous putting myself out there, especially in front of colleagues. Well, this morning I listened to a fellow educator explain how we just need to jump, to take the plunge and try something new. If ...

How Can I Catch Lightning In A Bottle?

Some days teaching feels amazing - the students are making the connections on their own, and you feel awesome  about the lesson or activity that you did that day. And then, there are days where you just aren't sure about anything - the students aren't engaged, you feel like you are pulling teeth to get an answer or discussion going, and it is just so forced. This week has been a mix of those extremes, and man is it exhausting! In my ESL C class, we started our book study unit. There are three different novels (each of a different level of difficulty). At first the students seemed excited to start reading a book all in English. As a class we read "The Paper Bag Princess" to learn the skills that they will then be using in their own novels - and they loved it! It was so easy for them - they created an awesome list of adjectives, they could find examples of direct and indirect characterization in the story, and they were so excited to take that knowledge and find tho...

The Reality Check

Every once in a while, we need to come down from our exciting, motivating high and realize that not everyone is ready for change, and that's okay! We all come from different lived experiences, with different motivations, and different goals, and it's impossible to make everyone happy all of the time. This is my latest lesson. I am beginning to realize that my excitement to learn new things and to challenge myself in areas that may not seem to connect traditionally to my particular courses are not always seen as useful or helpful by others. I get it. And while I want to advocate for teachers to have choice and control over their PD, I also need to accept that not everyone sees things in the same way. I always find that I have these conversations, and then I walk away, and five minutes later (or less) I wish  I had said something else! I wish I could be better at explaining things in the moment, so that these conversational regrets or what-ifs wouldn't happen. Life would ...